Speech and Language Therapy
The Speech and Language Therapy Service at Little Heath School is made up of two on-site therapists and a speech & language therapy assistant who support the school over 5 working days. The therapists work collaboratively with staff to support speech, language and communication needs.
The Service aims and objectives are:
- To identify, assess, advice, monitor and provide intervention where appropriate for children with speech, language and communication difficulties.
- To enhance and maximise the children's communication potential.
- To make appropriate onward referrals.
- To develop parent\carer and other professionals' understanding about the development of speech, language and communication skills.
- To liaise with relevant health, educational and social services and voluntary agencies to promote joint working initiatives to meet the diverse needs of children and their families within appropriate settings.
- To work jointly with teachers and teaching staff to support and enhance children's communication development within the home and school environment.
SLT provision may include any of the following:
- Group intervention and tailored programmes to be implemented by teaching staff.
- Review and update of the student's communication programme.
- Support for setting up communication groups.
- Advising on maximising communication environments.
- Training for school staff\parents.
- Input of targets for Annual Reviews.