The School's Governing Board has a strategic role in the development of the school and is responsible for its policies and finances but does not become involved in day-to-day management issues; that is the role of the head teacher.
Here at Little Heath School we also want to ensure that our pupils and staff enjoy school and that they all look forward to a stimulating day in a safe and friendly environment.
Governors are required to attend meetings. There must be at least three full governing board meetings per year and failure to attend for any six-month period could result in disqualification.
The Governing Board’s responsibilities are:
To provide a strategic view by helping to set and maintain the broad framework within which the Head teacher and the staff should run the school;
To act as a critical friend providing the head teacher with support and offering advice and information but also providing some challenge. The Governing Board is there to monitor and evaluate the schools effectiveness;
To ensure accountability by monitoring the schools performance. In turn the Governing Board is accountable to all stakeholders on the schools overall performance.
The Governing Board’s responsibilities and powers have to be exercised in partnership with the head teacher and staff to enable the school to be effective and to provide the best possible education for all of its pupils.
The Governing Board
- makes decisions collectively.
- sets the overall budget for the school.
- decides on the number of staff.
- sets targets for pupil achievement.
- publishes national test and exam results.
- compares the performance of their school to similar schools.
- receives information about the quality of teaching in the school.
- has a published strategy for dealing with parental complaints and concerns.
- ensures health and safety issues are addressed.
- asks challenging questions.
- consults the Head teacher when making decisions.
- helps develop school policies and procedures.
- considers the repair and maintenance of school buildings.
- considers the use of school premises outside school hours.
- appoints committees of governors to look at specific issues such as finance,
- staffing, curriculum and premises.
Members of Little Heath Governing Board
All our governors are volunteers from the schools community who wish to make a positive contribution to our children’s education.
There are nine members:
|3||Parent Governors (elected by parents)|
|2||Staff Governors (the head teacher and one elected by the school staff)|
|1||Partnership Governor (appointed by the Governing Board)|
|3||Co-opted Governors (members of the local community appointed by the Governing Board)|